Wisdom Teeth Pain: A Step-by-Step Guide to Treatment
Are you experiencing wisdom teeth pain?
Wisdom teeth can be trouble when they act up, causing pain and health issues.
Fortunately, you can take steps to relieve wisdom teeth pain.
Understanding Wisdom Teeth Pain
Wisdom teeth often get trapped, unable to emerge into the mouth thoroughly.
Sometimes, they never break through the gums. Approximately 70 per cent of individuals have at least one impacted wisdom tooth.
The pain you feel may be due to this impaction, and it can lead to various issues, including:
- Bacteria that cause gum disease
An impacted wisdom tooth can harm neighbouring teeth and sometimes trigger cyst formation. Furthermore, their awkward positioning makes cleaning challenging, potentially compromising oral hygiene.
Sometimes, your dentist or doctor may recommend removing a problematic wisdom tooth. While awaiting the procedure, you can take steps to alleviate the pain.
Managing Wisdom Teeth Pain: Tips for Relief
Dealing with wisdom teeth pain can be challenging, but with the right approach, you can find relief and safeguard your oral health.
To effectively alleviate your symptoms, pinpointing the underlying cause and working closely with your dentist or oral surgeon is essential.
- Understand the Cause: Wisdom teeth pain is often due to gum infections around these teeth. Food particles trapped in this area create a breeding ground for bacteria. If you notice any swelling or discomfort in your wisdom teeth area, consult your dentist promptly to assess the severity of the issue.
- Home Care Measures:
- Monitor the Situation: If you experience mild discomfort in the back of your mouth, possibly linked to your wisdom teeth, give it some time. Sometimes, the pain resolves on its own.
- Over-the-Counter Pain Relief: For temporary relief, over-the-counter painkillers can be beneficial. However, relying on them as a long-term solution is not advisable.
- Saltwater Rinses: Rinse your mouth multiple times a day with warm salt water. This can help eliminate bacteria-causing infections and dislodge food particles stuck between your teeth.
- Ice Packs: If your wisdom teeth are emerging normally but causing tenderness, consider applying ice at intervals to reduce swelling and numb the area.
Remember, while these home remedies may provide some relief, consulting with a dental professional is crucial to address the root cause of your wisdom teeth pain and ensure your long-term oral health.
Professional Treatment for Wisdom Teeth Pain
While home remedies can offer temporary relief, they don’t provide lasting solutions for wisdom teeth pain.
To address this issue effectively, consulting with a local dentist is essential because wisdom tooth pain won’t subside as long as the tooth remains in your gums and can significantly affect your quality of life.
Here’s how professional treatment for wisdom teeth pain typically unfolds:
- Dental Examination: Your dentist will begin by conducting a thorough examination, often including dental X-rays. This evaluation helps them determine the most suitable treatment plan for your situation.
- Antibiotics: If an infection is present due to a wisdom tooth partially breaking through the gum line, your dentist may prescribe antibiotics to combat the infection. Further assessments often follow this step.
- Operculectomy: This minor oral surgery involves cleaning and disinfecting infections caused by partially erupted wisdom teeth. It facilitates natural growth by removing the flap of skin surrounding the tooth.
- Wisdom Teeth Extraction: Complete extraction of the wisdom teeth is a common and effective solution to alleviate pain quickly. The recovery period varies from several days to more than a week, depending on individual healing responses.
Consulting with a dentist is the key to finding the proper treatment for wisdom teeth pain and ensuring your comfort and oral health.
Wisdom Teeth Pain Management in Albury
Wisdom teeth pain is a common issue that affects many people. Thankfully, various home remedies and professional treatments alleviate the discomfort and pain associated with it.
At Kreativ Dental Albury, we are committed to providing secure and efficient dental care. We provide custom-made treatments just for you!
Visit your Albury dentist today!
We are located at 525 Wilson St. in Albury.